Through the Years. Our History.
Bassetsbury is named after the Basset family who held the Manor of Wycombe from 1171. The bury part was added afterwards possibly named after a small fortification called a "bury" close to the site. It became a separate estate when King John divided Wycombe Manor into two in 1203 and was named Bassetsbury Manor. Attached to the Manor was a Tithe Barn where tenants paid their taxes in grain. The old mill ground the corn.
Fruit trees back in 1925. Now the playground of Crown House Preparatory School.
Fred Skull and his wife celebrating their Diamond Wedding Anniversary. Queen Mary attended sat front row centre.
Mayor Bunn opens the new Bowling Green in 1955 and bowls the first bowl.
Match on 30th April 1955.
Men playing a match in 1970.
The present day Clubhouse and Manor with a well manicured bowling green. The Manor is now a privately run Preparatory School for junior ages.